The cleaner your fuel system,
the more efficiently the fuel will burn
which results in better fuel economy.
A fuel pump module serves three purposes:
- filter the fuel in a gas tank to prevent any debris from getting into the fuel pump
- pump gasoline from the gas tank to the carburetor, for mechanical fuel pump or fuel injection system for electronic fuel pump
- send information to the instrument cluster for the fuel level gauge
Common signs of a malfunction in the fuel pump:
- engine sputters at high speed
- vehicle loses power while accelerating
- sudden loss of power when the vehicle is under stress ( like climbing a hill or when hauling a load)
- surging (pick up and surge forward like the gas pedal had been depressed without intervention from the driver)
- engine will not start
Protects your engine from harmful sediment and particles in the gas. The fuel filter catches any particles or debris that would be harmful to the engine and keeps it trapped in a canister, much like your oil filter does. Regular replacement of the fuel filter is required to maintain optimal performance and fuel mileage.
Your vehicle may be equipped with a direct fuel injection system and will have a component called fuel rails to get the fuel to the fuel injectors. In an engine with fuel injection, gasoline takes a more roundabout route than it does with the direct injection method. This indirect approach causes inefficiencies in burning the fuel, and it can result in a lot of energy getting wasted. In a direct injection engine however, the fuel goes straight to the combustion chamber. This allows the fuel to burn more evenly and thoroughly.
An electronically controlled valve. This valve is supplied with pressurized fuel by the fuel pump in your car. When the injector is energized, an electromagnet moves a plunger that opens the valve, allowing the pressurized fuel to squirt out through a tiny nozzle. The nozzle is designed to atomize the fuel, to make as fine a mist as possible so that it can burn easily. To maintain a proper fuel spray pattern, injectors need to be kept clean. This is done by using fuel additives, or by replacing fuel injectors when they become worn.